Yakitori is a simple and DELICIOUS Japanese street food of grilled chicken, served either shio-style (with salt), or tare-style (with a mirin/sake/soy/sugar sauce). Typically, yakitori is made from bite-sized chicken pieces, scallions.
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1/4 cup sake
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 - 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 bunch green onions, white part only, cut into 2" lengths
- Combine the soy sauce, mirin, sake & sugar in a small pot; cook over medium heat until reduced by 1/2. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, soak your bamboo skewers in water to prevent them from burning.
- Skewer the chicken and green onions.
- Heat up your grill and add the skewers. Sprinkle a small amount of sea salt on each skewer, covering all sides lightly. Grill the skewers for about 10-15 minutes per side over indirect heat or until done.
- Once done, dip the skewers into the prepared sauce (or just brush it on), then grill for about 45-60 seconds per side over DIRECT heat, brushing on additional sauce as needed.